Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Skip auxiliary navigation (Press Enter).
Skip main navigation (Press Enter).
on this day
between these dates
Discussion: View Thread
CO - Senior Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States
CO - Senior Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States
Posted 11-12-2020 03:04 PM
Edited by Brukie Gashaw 11-12-2020 03:03 PM
Who We Are:
Education Commission of the States partners with education policy leaders nationwide to address issues by sharing resources and expertise. We are proud to serve both the people who develop and implement education policy and the students who directly benefit from effective policy change. Every day, we provide education leaders with unbiased information and opportunities for collaboration because informed policymakers create better education policy.
We were named by The Nonprofit Times for four years in a row as one of the Top 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For. In the surveys conducted, Education Commission of the States' employees expressed the strongest satisfaction in the categories of leadership and planning, role satisfaction, work environment, relationship with supervisor, pay and benefits, and overall engagement. We are an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salaries and an outstanding benefits package. Education Commission of the States provides an exciting intellectual environment, a collegial workplace, flexible hours and an organizational structure that encourages teamwork.
Who You Are:
A senior policy analyst at Education Commission of the States will contribute to the organization's mission to provide a wide range of education stakeholders with unbiased information and opportunities for collaboration. As part of the Policy Team, the senior policy analyst leads various Education Commission of the States projects to develop and accomplish specific policy studies. For this position we are looking for someone with expertise in the field of school finance/ed finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Under tight deadlines, research and respond to requests for information on a wide range of education issues. Respond to questions from the media.
2. With minimal support and supervision, locate, correctly interpret, accurately summarize, and analyze for trends and similarities/differences in state policies, legislation, statutes and administrative code. Identify state policies to serve as models for policymakers and connect policy to research and outcomes.
3. Populate 50-state comparisons and policy databases. Maintain and develop policy materials for Education Commission of the States' website and events.
4. Read education research and accurately synthesize key findings and policy recommendations for a non-academic audience. Identify relevant points and link complex research to broader policy work.
5. Write and edit reports, blogs, summaries, and other materials for publication and web distribution. Propose topic areas, approaches and structure of reports. With an eye toward writing for the Education Commission of the States audience, organize complex issues in an easily digestible way. Generally, require limited editing for clarity and accuracy. Develop and connect multiple reports as part of overarching theme/goals/projects. Connect to relevant organizations or states to partner on reports.
6. Generate topic areas and structures, identify and communicate with speakers, prepare necessary written materials, meet deadlines and provide on-site support. Develop meeting sessions and schedules independently and implement with support from supervisor and other staff. Collaborate with Policy Team members and leaders to support Education Commission of the States' convenings.
7. Represent Education Commission of the States at national and regional meetings, conferences and other meetings. Participate as a speaker at other organizations' meetings and/or state convenings. Facilitate panel discussions, round tables, work groups, meetings, etc. Represent Education Commission of the States' initiatives/plans independently and strategically at internal and external convenings. Participate in internal meetings.
8. Develop and assist in formulating projects to promote Education Commission of the States' education priorities. Expected to contribute ideas for Policy Team strategic planning, develop project proposals, and with supervision and support, develop concept papers.
9. Consider connections between the work of all teams, and partner with them where appropriate. Identify and coordinate appropriate policy staff or projects.
10. Speak at state convenings when requested. Support other team members in preparing for and executing speaking engagements.
11. Support development of peers and other team members and review their work when needed.
12. Assist in the development of reports to granting agencies and foundations. Support the strategies that engage funders and build those networks.
13. Performs other duties as required.
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor's degree.
• Master's degree preferred.
• Minimum five years of public policy experience in the field of school finance/ed finance.
• Preferred 5-20 years experience.
• Proficient in use of digital software and technology, including databases, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Compensation and Benefits:
Education Commission of the States offers competitive compensation and benefits, including health, dental, life, long term disability, vision insurance, a flexible spending account, a health reimbursement account and a yearly contribution to your 403b retirement plan. This position is located in Denver, CO. The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience.
Applying for the Position:
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and cover letter e-mail to Kate Haggerty/
. Please include "Senior Policy Analyst" in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: All applications must be received by close of business on Tuesday, November 17, 2020.
Education Commission of the States
New Best Answer
This thread already has a best answer. Would you like to mark this message as the new best answer?
Back to Top
© 2016 National Association of State Budget Officers. All rights reserved.
Powered by Higher Logic