Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB) is a state agency that serves the people of Minnesota by providing the state with leadership and guidance to support efficient and effective government, a world class workforce, and responsible financial management. To achieve this mission, MMB continuously evaluates and adjusts how we deliver services to agencies and employees as the needs of the state and our workforce change. From improving how we recruit, to new training, and strategic organizational development, we constantly innovate to provide the best value and service to Minnesotans.
Job Class: Executive Budget Officer or Executive Budget Officer TraineeWho May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekersDate Posted: 03/09/2021Closing Date: 08/31/2021Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Mn Management & Budget / ManagerialDivision/Unit: Budget State GovernmentWork Shift/Work Hours: Day ShiftTravel Required: NoExecutive Budget Officer Salary Range: $78,195 - $112,501/annuallyTrainee-Executive Budget Officer Salary Range: $64,832 - $94,189/annuallyClassified Status: ClassifiedBargaining Unit/Union: 220 - Manager/UnrepFLSA Status: Exempt – AdministrativeJob ID: 44424Location: St. Paul, MinnesotaFull/Part Time: Full TimeRegular/Temporary: Unlimited
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED IN RESPONSE TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE CHOSEN TO FORM A POOL OF CANDIDATES USED TO FILL EXECUTIVE BUDGET OFFICER (EBO) or EXECUTIVE BUDGET OFFICER TRAINEE (EBOT) VACANCIES IN MINNESOTA MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2021.
EBOs and EBOTs implement state budget policy and consult with state agency management on fiscal policy and programmatic issues. EBOs assist assigned state agencies in the development and review of their operating and capital budget proposals, present agency budget recommendations to Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB) management and other executive branch decision-makers; provide support to executive and legislative branch staff during the budget process; track legislative actions on budget issues; and monitor state agency spending plans for compliance with law, legislative intent and financial management policies.
The working distinction between EBO and EBOT is an internal distinction used only within MMB. The two levels of position posted do very similar work. However, the EBOT completes their duties and assignment with closer supervision, direction and assistance from supervisors or more experienced colleagues for a training period roughly equivalent to one full biennial budget cycle (18-24 months). EBOTs that complete the training program successfully are usually promoted to EBO.
In order to be considered for either the EBO or EBOT positions, candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest, which demonstrate clear and concise writing skills as well as summarize relevant education and work experience and interest in the position. High ranking candidates will be scheduled for one or more structured interview(s) which may include a problem solving exercise and oral presentation component. Candidates selected for interviews will be evaluated on communication skills, human relation skills, analytical skills and technical knowledge.
Minimum education and experience requirements for the Executive Budget Officer level are:
1. Advanced degree in a related field plus three years of related work experience, OR
2. Bachelor's degree in a related field plus five years of related work experience in the areas below and direct experience in public budgeting; OR
3. Bachelor's degree in any area plus six years of related work experience in the areas below and direct experience in public budgeting.
Minimum education and experience requirements for the Executive Budget Officer Trainee level are:
1. Advanced degree in a related field plus six months of related work or internship experience, OR
2. Bachelor's degree in a related field plus three years of related work experience in the areas below and direct experience in public budgeting; OR
3. Bachelor's degree in any area plus four years of related work experience in the areas below and direct experience in public budgeting.
Related degrees: Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Law, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Affairs, and Public Policy.
Related experience: Professional-level work in the following areas:
1. Budget development assistance to and analysis of budget proposals from multiple units or activities outside of your sphere of immediate control.
2. Program operation, policy analysis and development, program evaluation, or performance measurement.
3. Financial management including budget monitoring, financial analysis and/or auditing
4. Forecasting program spending requirements or revenue potential.
5. Management decision support functions.
6. Public communications, presentations or public speaking
7. Mediation, facilitation, or consensus building.
8. Experience with large enterprise wide IT systems and software.
**To be considered for an interview, the candidates resume should clearly identify professional level work in at least five of these categories and work experience should specifically include work in financial management and policy analysis or in public budgeting.
1. Participating in the Minnesota legislative process
2. Knowledge of SWIFT, Hyperion or Sharepoint
3. Experience developing or reviewing rate or fee based budget proposals
Minnesota Management and Budget will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and a criminal background check prior to appointment.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Colleen Siegel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.