JOB TITLE: Accounting Manager
AGENCY: City of Ontario
LOCATION: Ontario, CA
FILING DEADLINE: August 25, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $119,516.80 – $145,308.80
This position is responsible for the administration, operations, and staff of the Accounting division; manages a comprehensive fiscal accounting program including financial record keeping, auditing, and reporting; and provides highly responsible and complex support to the Assistant Finance Director.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
· Plans, organizes, and administers a comprehensive fiscal accounting program, including financial record keeping, auditing, and reporting in compliance with Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards.
· Participates in the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
· Supervises and directs the activities of staff, including employee selection, work assignment, performance evaluation, employee development, disciplinary action, and complaint resolution.
· Reviews, analyzes and reconciles reports prepared by accounting staff; oversees and participates in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) utilizing Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards.
· Prepares documents, presentations and agenda reports; attends City Council, executive, and committee meetings regarding accounting and other related subjects.
· Coordinates annual audits of financial statements and actuarial studies.
· Performs month-end, fiscal year-end, and calendar year-end accounting system processing and reporting; examines related accounting transactions to ensure accuracy.
· Prepares and analyzes a variety of complex financial reports, statements, and schedules.
· Participates in the development, revision, interpretation, and maintenance of policy and procedure manuals governing fiscal matters; provides information to City Departments regarding financial policies and procedures.
· Monitors financial processes and procedures in City departments, including internal audits, and checks and balances; ensures that
necessary corrective action is taken.
· Serves as the liaison with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
· Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of municipal accounting, public administration, and related fields.
· Conducts studies and performs special projects.
· Performs related duties as required.
Exciting times are ahead for the City and its Accounting Manager. With newly acquired staff, the Accounting Manager will lead and develop the Accounting division. The responsibilities include implementing and ensuring internal controls are actively utilized so that each department complies with all applicable state, federal, and local laws. The Accounting Manager will monitor how each department uses general funds, special revenue, capital project, enterprise, internal services, and agency funds. This is essential during the City of Ontario's time of robust growth, ensuring sustainable development as the City expands by acquiring new and exciting assets such as the Regional Sports Complex. With the U.S. Census Bureau's prediction that the City of Ontario will double its population by 2035, the Accounting division will play a crucial role in managing the City's finances.
The individual selected to assume this position will be expected to:
· Foster a work environment that encourages communication, team collaboration, employee development and growth; and motivates high performance and accountability.
· Assist in developing and implementing strategic plans, policies, and procedures.
· Cultivate new and continuing relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders and support the City's fiscal growth.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be a positive and collaborative leader with effective decision-making skills who will be dedicated to building a growing accounting team in a city that is experiencing exciting economic growth. The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of Governmental Accounting Standard Board statements and be an expert in financial analysis, implementation, maintenance of accounting systems, process improvements, and public audit. They should also embody the values of our City's Approach to Public Service, including commitment to the community, excellence through teamwork, and doing the right thing the right way. This position requires the ability to manage a fast-paced work environment and be hands-on when necessary, particularly with more complex projects. Experience with different funding sources and revenues is a must, such as community facilities districts, municipal utilities, development impact fees, grants, and housing authority. The successful candidate will be able to inspire, motivate, and empower staff while also serving as a model for Ontario's workforce. They will encourage teamwork and collaboration to ensure high performance and quality project deliverables.
Key Attributes and Characteristics:
· Excellent interpersonal skills are necessary to build positive working relationships with the City leadership, staff and partnering departments, professional or peer organizations, various state, and federal agencies, as well as vendors and suppliers.
· Excellent communication skills and professionalism in making presentations in front of audiences of various sizes and at all levels.
· Strong personnel management and a motivational leadership style; able to delegate authority and responsibility while promoting individual accountability and high performance.
· A collaborative problem solver who is able to form consensus, be organized and decisive, and work with a sense of urgency.
Ontario is a progressive city located in southwestern San Bernardino County, California, 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles and 23 miles west of downtown San Bernardino. Located in the western part of the Inland Empire metropolitan area, it lies just east of Los Angeles County and is part of the Greater Los Angeles Area. The population is approximately 180,000. With sunshine and a temperate climate year around, Greater Ontario is local to all things Southern California - from the mountains to sea, deserts to vineyards, and wide open spaces; yet still close enough to urban centers, making the City a desirable destination. The City itself offers an array of restaurants and nightlife, an international airport, shopping, major sports venues, and semi-pro athletic teams. The City of Ontario boasts all the amenities of Los Angeles and Orange Counties without the expense, hassle, and traffic.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Rev2-Ontario-AM.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/accounting-manager-2/
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For more information, contact:
We invite you to learn more about the City of Ontario by reviewing the City's website: https://www.ontarioca.gov