JOB TITLE: Budget Manager
AGENCY: City of Riverside
LOCATION: Riverside, CA
FILING DEADLINE: March 17, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $128,160.00 to $188,040.00
The City of Riverside is seeking an experienced and innovative individual to collaborate with City leadership to develop financial strategies for the City's long-term fiscal health. This position reports to the Assistant Chief Financial Officer and is an influential and critical position in the City with high potential for advancement. The Budget Manager recommends, presents, and implements strategic solutions to fiscal challenges, both large and small. City departments and City leadership rely on the Budget Manager for day-to-day guidance and creative solutions to budget matters such as funding needs and transparent communication of financial matters to the public. Additionally, the City is currently transitioning to a Priority Based Budgeting (PBB) methodology that will guide funding decisions and improve the alignment of City programs and services to the City's Envision Riverside Strategic Plan 2025. The Budget Manager will provide recommendations and guidance on the incorporation of PBB in the City's budget process. The Budget Manager position has significant growth potential, both professionally and monetarily. Riverside is a full-service city with Police and Fire Departments; Electric, Water, Wastewater and Refuse utilities; a Convention Center and other entertainment venues; Museum; Transit; and other services not typical of smaller cities. The Budget Manager position is ideal for small-to-medium city Finance Directors and Assistant Finance Directors seeking professional growth opportunities available in large, full-service cities and the opportunity to grow their earning potential. With a citywide budget in excess of $1.3 billion and capital improvement plan of $163 million, candidates will tackle the unique challenges of a large, full-service city, recommending strategic financial solutions that align financing for numerous City services with the City Council's strategic initiatives.
The job duties of the Budget Manager include, but are not limited to:
· Guide City leadership and staff through the development of the City's budget and capital improvement plan; produce related budget publications; and submit budget publications for CSMFO and GFOA awards.
· Monitor City finances with attention to internal and external influences; perform quarterly financial analysis; produce and present quarterly financial reports to the City Council, Financial Performance and Budget Committee, and Budget Engagement Commission; and make recommendations to adjust the City budget as necessary.
· Supervise the preparation and update of the City's Cost Allocation Plan.
· Supervise the preparation and update of the City's Fees and Charges, and lead the comprehensive Fees and Charges study every three to five years.
· Oversee staff monitoring of Position Control to ensure compliance with Council-approved FTE and appropriations.
· Review reports for City Council and other public meeting bodies for compliance with fiscal policies, fiscal transparency, and fiscal impact.
· Guide the development of long-term financial plans including comprehensive revenue and expenditure forecasts.
· Monitor and report on the program-based spending plan for the City's local transaction tax (Measure Z).
· Oversee maintenance, testing, and updating of budget and cost allocation plan software; ensure accurate and up-to-date public-facing content in the systems and select Finance Department webpages.
· Prepare and present reports to the City Council, the Budget Engagement Commission, and other public meeting bodies as requested.
· Monitor and assess the potential impacts of the local, regional, and national economy on City finances.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is an experienced, innovative, and motivated finance professional who enjoys challenges and creative solutions and has a mentorship approach to managing employees. The Budget Manager will be expected to support a collaborative and transparent organizational culture. The successful candidate will have strong analytical skills and a background in varied, complex municipal budgets. Effective communication and interpersonal skills are necessary to build and foster positive staff and interdepartmental relationships, as well as provide clear presentations and reports to leadership, various committees, and community groups. A manager with a track record providing support and guidance to a group of highly qualified professionals in a fast-paced environment, who creates a workplace of mutual trust, respect, and a family-type environment is highly desirable.
Key Attributes and Characteristics
· A "roll up one's sleeves" type of leader who can foster strong, collaborative working relationships with all levels of City staff.
· The ability to creatively communicate complex financial information to non-financial audiences verbally and in writing, using graphics, and simple, practical terms.
· A willingness to leverage effective management and motivation of the Budget staff to research and recommend financial strategies and develop long-term financial plans, and perform complex financial analysis as required.
· A management style that looks for continuous ways to improve processes, utilizes technology to create efficiencies, and factors in the current hybrid working environment to ensure continued fiscal responsibility.
· A charismatic and humble leader who demonstrates confidence and high integrity, while providing excellent customer service.
· An active lister, calm under pressure, possessing a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
The City Of Riverside
The City of Riverside is a growing metropolitan hub, with an artistic spirit, positioned for a sustainable urban future. Ranked as the 12th largest city in the state with a population of 317,000, Riverside is an urban amenities center that includes museums, theaters, fine dining, an array of festivals and markets, and four internationally recognized universities and colleges. The City believes in continually investing in and improving the community. Riverside is an ideal location for those looking to receive a quality education, start a career, become an innovator or entrepreneur, volunteer in the community, build and expand a business, raise a family, or retire.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Rev5-Riverside-BM.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/budget-manager-2/.
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Phone (510) 495-0448
To learn more about the City of Riverside, go to: https://riversideca.gov/.
Spin Recruitment Advertising