JOB TITLE: Director of Finance
AGENCY: City of Carson
LOCATION: Carson, CA
FILING DEADLINE: November 21, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $149,904 – $191,304 Annually
Reporting to the Deputy City Manager, the Director of Finance plans, directs, and oversees a broad range of financial services, including budgeting, contract administration, revenue, accounting, payroll, purchasing and finance. This position must exercise independent judgment and discretion in formulating, managing, and controlling administrative, fiscal policies and strategic planning. This is an unclassified, at-will position and serves as a member of the City's leadership team and manages a staff of 36, including four direct reports.
- Oversee completion of the final phase of the City's ERP (Tyler Munis) implementation.
- Oversee the development of the citywide budget, including revenue forecasting, departmental budget reviews, and recommendations, including the budget and capital improvement programs.
- Provide guidance for the implementation of long and short-term programs and activities, including performance metrics (Open Gov), fiscal policies, and policy updates.
- Direct the preparation of financial statements, audits, and other reports regarding the City's financial position.
- Participate as a member of the City's executive management team to review and develop overall approaches to the City's long-range plans and priorities, including strategic plan updates.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop staff, including prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, and making decisions on hiring, transfers, reassignments, and other personnel matters.
- Assess and implement process improvements for business licenses, payroll, and other functions of the Finance Department to ensure best practices and high performance, and that regulatory and legal compliance are met.
- Facilitate, lead, and/or participate in meetings and committees; represents the department and the City meetings, committees, associations, and conferences.
- Interpret the City's tax and licensing regulations and direct the collection of license funds and other municipal revenues, assuring proper receipt, processing, and security of revenues.
- May participate in labor negotiations.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a creative, forward-thinking leader that manages with integrity, intelligence, high energy, and humility. The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to create solid relationships with employees, departmental heads, elected officials, and other key stakeholders. The City has brought in new leadership, and the successful candidate should continue to build on this positive approach of collaborative teamwork, employee development, and creating trust with colleagues through active listening and solutions-oriented dialogue. The next Director of Finance must have solid political acumen, be hands-on to support staff, and be open new ideas.
Key skills and attributes:
- Financial management and administration, including enterprise and internal services fund accounting.
- Governmental and accounting principles.
- Municipal financing techniques including, but not limited to, bonds, assessment districts, fees, lease/purchases, and private public partnerships.
- Principles and practices of supervision, and performance evaluation.
- Governmental procurement and contract management requirements.
- Management and leadership principles, including performance measurements.
- Public administration and governmental operations.
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, codes, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Program development and administration principles and practices.
- Effective methods and excellence in written and verbal presentations.
- Budget preparation, control, and management.
- Laws, codes, and other regulations concerning municipal finance transactions, accounting, and taxation.
- Able to create and build good city council relations through honest communications as well as providing accurate and timely reports and data.
Carson is located less than 15 miles south of downtown Los Angeles and is considered part of the South Bay region of Los Angeles County. Carson is an attractive city to live and work in, experiencing mild temperatures year-round and is naturally cooled by westerly ocean breezes. Carson prides itself on being a culturally diverse community and is accessible by air, rail, water, and freeway.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/finance-director-3/.
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Carlo Zabala at: (510) 342-3233 or Email: email@example.com
Frank Rojas at (510) 495-0448 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spin Recruitment Advertising