JOB TITLE: Director of Finance
AGENCY: City of Patterson
LOCATION: Patterson, CA
FILING DEADLINE: December 12, 2022
SALARY RANGE: Up to $165,744 DOE
Under Administrative direction of the City Manager, the Director of Finance will plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Finance Department, including financial reporting, payroll, budgeting, accounting and auditing, property management, treasury, cash management, license administration, purchasing, utility billing, revenue, accounts payable, and management information systems. This Director will coordinate assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies, coordinate the City's investment portfolio as authorized, and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager. The Director of Finance manages a staff of 13.
- Manage the development and implementation of the Finance Department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels, monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, and allocate resources accordingly for the Finance Department.
- Plan, direct and coordinate, through subordinate personnel, the Finance Department's work plan. Assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility, review and evaluate work methods and procedures, and meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate professional, technical, and clerical Department personnel. Provide or coordinate staff training, work with employees to correct deficiencies, implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the Finance Department budget. Approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies. Approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Oversee utility billing and collection, research and resolve billing concerns and issues, and develop and implement utility billing policies and procedures.
- Manage City purchasing functions, monitor purchase of capital equipment, maintain account of the City's fixed assets, including calculation of depreciation, tracking, inventory, disposition of assets and direct business license administration.
- Review and recommend modifications to laws pertaining to municipal government finance and taxation.
- Direct the preparation of financial reports, analyses, audits, and deliver reports to the City Council as directed by the City Manager.
- Ensure compliance with City, State, and Federal policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to fiscal management and investment planning.
- Represent the Finance Department to other City departments, elected officials, and outside agencies. Coordinate Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Provide staff assistance to the City Manager, participate on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees. Prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Coordinate City's Financial Management Information System (MIS) and remain current on technology advancement pertaining to computer systems within the public sector.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a creative, forward-thinking leader that manages with integrity, intelligence, high energy, and humility. The successful candidate should be a change agent with strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build solid working relationships with staff, department heads, elected officials, and other key stakeholders. The City is building a strong leadership team and the successful candidate should continue to build on this positive approach of collaborative teamwork, employee development, and creating trust with colleagues through active listening and solutions-oriented dialogue. The next Director of Finance must have solid accounting, finance, budget, and payroll skills, be hands-on, and possess a willingness and the ability to mentor employees while creating a positive working environment – be accessible, approachable, and be open to new ideas.
In the heart of the San Joaquin Valley, the vibrant City of Patterson offers residents a safe, diverse, and friendly community rich in heritage. The City has a resident population of 23,808 and is located in Stanislaus County. It is 45 miles southeast of Livermore and part of the Modesto Metropolitan Statistical Area. Patterson is a rural, small town surrounded by agricultural land and has grown immensely during the past decade.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Rev5-Patterson-DF.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references, at least three of which are current or prior supervisors, (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/director-of-finance-4/.
For additional information, please contact:
Carlo Zabala at: (510) 342-3233 or Email: email@example.com
Frank Rojas at (510) 495-0448 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spin Recruitment Advertising