CA- FINANCE BUDGET ANALYST, DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
THE FINAL FILING DATE FOR THIS RECRUITMENT IS: JANUARY 6, 2023
Link to the official job posting: CalCareers
Link to the Department of Finance public website: Finance Careers | Department of Finance
*We are hiring for all levels of Analysts.
Finance Budget Analysts perform analytical and consultative duties necessary to carry out the budget development and management functions of the California Department of Finance, which is the Governor's chief fiscal policy advisor. Analysts are responsible for:
· Developing the annual Governor's Budget, including analyzing departmental budget requests and testifying during legislative hearings.
· Developing written analyses of the fiscal and programmatic impacts of proposed legislation.
· Analyzing unmet public needs and developing alternatives and recommendations for meeting those needs.
· Providing information and instruction to other state agencies concerning budget and financial procedures.
· Excellent analytical, writing, and problem-solving skills
· Understanding of basic statistical concepts and good working math skills
· Experience in making oral presentations and using Excel
· Good judgment
· Ability to easily adapt to change and to act effectively under pressure
· Ability to gain and maintain cooperative working relationships
· Patience, poise, flexibility, tact, reliability, and dependability
· Ability to work overtime on short notice
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following:
· A State of California application (Examination and/or Employment Application, STD. 678). You may obtain an official state application (STD. 678) here.
· A resume.
· Three references including name, relationship, and telephone number. References will not be contacted until after hiring interviews are conducted.
· Copy of degree or copy of unofficial transcripts showing degree obtained or current school status.
· A one-page Statement of Interest indicating why you are interested in a Finance Budget Analyst position with the Department of Finance, using a font no smaller than 12 point.
Applicants must provide complete, thorough and detailed descriptions of job and/or volunteer experience. This information is critical in determining acceptance into the selection process and determining at which level you are hired.
Current state employees must indicate on their application their current civil service classification, NOT working titles.
Junior Staff Analyst
Range L: $3,638 - $4,560
Range M: $3,940 - $4,932
Finance Budget Analyst
Range A: $4,967 - $6,217
Range B: $5,969 - $7,476
Staff Finance Budget Analyst
$6,888 - $8,560
These positions are eligible for an additional recruitment and retention pay differential (10% in the first year, and 15% in the second year).
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the majority of correspondence from the Recruitment Team will be through e-mail. Applicants must provide the most up-to-date e-mail address on their application to ensure timely correspondence.
Virtual interviews via web portals or phone may be offered as deemed appropriate and feasible.
Finance has implemented a hybrid telework model, which requires employees to work in the office for a minimum of two days during the workweek. The hybrid policy is subject to change, and additional in-office days may be required at management's discretion.
The three-phased process gives interested individuals an opportunity to demonstrate the skills and abilities needed to perform Finance Budget Analyst duties.
Phase I (Application Screening):
Application packages will be screened to ensure all materials were submitted accurately and timely.
Additionally, applications will be screened to ensure candidates have critical skills, knowledge, competencies and minimum qualifications that demonstrate potential success as a Finance Budget Analyst. Those candidates who pass Phase I will be invited to participate in Phase II.
Phase II (Writing/Math Exercise):
The second phase of the process assesses writing and math competencies. Successful individuals proceed to the third phase of the hiring process. The math/writing exercise may be given either in person or electronically thru email.
Phase III (Interviews):
The third phase of the hiring process consists of interviews with our budget units. This interview is pass/fail. Successful candidates are either hired or placed in a hiring pool for future consideration. Placement in the pool does not guarantee appointment to a Budget Analyst position. The interviews for this recruitment will be held via Zoom.
To hear more about the role of a Finance Budget Analyst, and to ask questions, Informational Sessions will be held. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, these will be held via Zoom, time and date TBD.
California Department of Finance