Under the general direction of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Director of Business Operations provides leadership for the College financial systems. The Director provides accountable leadership through effective communication and performance management, by establishing controls, procedures and reporting systems within the appropriate parameters of law, policy and best practices. The primary goal of Fiscal and Business Services unit is to provide timely and quality services to the college community.
The Director is expected to support the SVC mission and provide students, faculty, staff, and visitors the best experience possible while on campus. This position will support, respect, and contribute to SVC's ongoing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and direction for an operation dedicated toward assisting the college in meeting its strategic mission, goals and objectives, while providing responsive support to external and internal customers.
- Serve as the lead for all audits and fiscal reviews, including financial statement, accountability, and capital project audits.
- Work with various vice presidents and office supervisors to coordinate more efficient and effective procedures and ensure appropriate accounting processes.
- Serve as ctcLink (PeopleSoft) Finance pillar lead.
- Provide training for staff in all areas either directly, or from other means available, and provide opportunity to participate in other training available to college staff. Training may include accounting orientation, PC software use, customer service, financial reports, travel, etc.
- Interview and hire staff and provide orientation for new employees. Perform employee evaluations, update employee job descriptions, and make suggestions for future goals. Hold staff meetings with business services staff as needed.
- Oversee Accounting Manager and ensure that required accounting activity mandated by state and federal requirements, and monthly and quarterly reconciliations occur on a timely basis.
- Direct, schedule, and coordinate business services activity, reconciliations, duties, and workflow with other departments and agencies including registration input, Financial Aid activities, and auditor visitations.
- Oversee fiscal reports required by Office of financial Management (OFM), State Board of Community and Technical Colleges Council (SBCTC), other governmental agencies, and SVC internal use.
- Prepare various reports for external review (i.e., annual financial reports, annual IPEDS report.
- Oversee fiscal year-end closing activity including monitoring total college allotment balances, expenditure and revenue accruals, and post-closing adjustments.
- Prepare and maintain current Business Services procedures manual and current employee job descriptions. Distribute college accounting processes to business services and college community as necessary.
- Attend and represent the college in various organizations such as BAR and serve on state subcommittees as needed or designate other staff, and participate on various campus committees.
- Assist the Vice President of Administrative Services as necessary and perform other related duties as required.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge or understanding of:
- State of Washington purchasing policies and procedures;
- State of Washington Contract policies and procedures;
- State and federal travel regulations;
- Accounting principles;
- Revised Code of Washington (RCW's) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC's) related to state purchasing, accounts payable, and inventory.
- Technological skills including Microsoft Office Suite;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Work with state agencies and the vendor community regarding purchasing materials management and fiscal operations;
- Analyze purchasing contracts and orders;
- Plan and manage time effectively;
- Effectively organize multiple assignments;
- Work independently;
- Handle confidential information appropriately;
- Work effectively as a member of a team;
- Adapt easily to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities;
- Respond to difficult situations.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited higher education institution in business, finance, accounting, or a related field
- Three (3) years' relevant work experience or equivalent/education experience.
- Fluent with software applications, especially spreadsheets and budget management systems.
- Ability to read and understand technical forms and financial reports.
- A combination of education and experience which is equivalent to five years of full-time experience as a professional working in a financial or budgetary role.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Master's degree from an accredited higher education institution in business, finance, accounting, or a related field.
- Certified Management Accountant or Certified Public Accountant.
- Demonstrated effective project management skills, including ability to be flexible and manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing and shifting demands/needs of stakeholders in a highly collaborative environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- Prior to employment, the candidate must pass a criminal background check;
- If hired you will be required to provide proof that you are either 1) a U.S. citizen, or 2) an immigrant whose status permits you to lawfully work in this country.
- Completion of academic degree(s) will be verified through receipt of official transcripts at the time of hire.
- Ability to work occasional evenings, nights or weekends.
- Per Proclamation 21-14, employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than date of hire. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 Vaccination as part of the hire process. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Skagit Valley College