Position: Budget Analyst
Office of Policy Analysis, Maryland Department of Legislative Services
Salary: $70,000 (entry-level)
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Employee Benefits: Click Here to Learn More
Policy analysts in the budget analysis function work on a nonpartisan basis and perform the following tasks:
- Evaluate operating and capital budgets of State agencies, including use of revenue, spending, and performance data to assess efficiency and effectiveness of State programs.
- Convey quantitative and other analytical findings through written summaries and use of visual aids (e.g. charts and other graphics).
- Respond to legislative requests and present findings and recommendations to legislators, committees, task forces, and others in formal and informal settings.
- Research policy issues and develop expertise in specific policy areas (e.g. environment, transportation, public safety).· Complete assignments both in office and through remote work.
- A master's degree in public policy, public administration, economics, finance, or a related field and a demonstrated interest in providing economic, fiscal, or public policy analysis.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical abilities, including basic statistical, mathematical, and financial concepts.
- Competency with standard computer software used to prepare analyses, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently, in teams, and sometimes under extreme time pressures.
- Availability for extended work hours, including evening and weekend work, during the legislative session (January-April). More schedule flexibility is available during the legislative interim (May-December), particularly in the spring and summer months.
Email your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include code 07-23. The cover letter should state the reasons for interest in the position, any relevant experience, and availability to begin work.
An exercise assessing basic writing and mathematical/analytical skills is part of the interview process.
The Department of Legislative Services is an equal employment opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in a manner that violates law, regulation, or legislative policy.
Director, Office of Policy Analysis
Department of Legislative Services, Maryland General Assembly