Junior Regulatory Analyst Recruitment
Virginia Department of Planning and Budget
Agency No.: 122
Recruit Ad Date: April 20, 2023
Application Closing: May 26, 2023
Position Number: DPB00031
Recruit Type: General Public
Role Title: Policy and Planning Specialist II, 19132 (Pay Band 5)
Working Title: Junior Regulatory Analyst
Salary Range: $55,000
The Department of Planning and Budget (DPB) is seeking an entry level analyst. The position will work with senior DPB staff to assist the Governor's Office, the Governor's cabinet, and other state agencies when reviewing changes to regulations and related policies. In addition, the position may conduct additional analysis, review legislation for fiscal impact, and participate in special studies and other assignments as needed.
The successful candidate will develop the skills and knowledge base to progress toward gaining independent assignments. In addition, the successful candidate will be required to develop a thorough knowledge of assigned issues and perform analytical and special reviews involving regulatory, policy, and/or legislative/fiscal issues. The new analyst will be paired with mentors to assist in gaining knowledge and experience that will be needed ultimately to work independently in this role. Accordingly, the new analyst must work well within a team-centered environment while being self-reliant.
The successful candidate will be able to think critically and effectively communicate creative recommendations, both orally and in writing. Moreover, the candidate also will be able to conduct in-depth analysis and provide rapid responses when necessary. The successful candidate also must be able to multi-task effectively and be comfortable making recommendations with limited information. The position is intended to provide the candidate with the opportunity to advance in the agency upon satisfactorily demonstrating the above knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The successful candidate must possess the following:
- Undergraduate degree in public policy, political science, public administration, government, finance, business administration, or related field; or, an equivalent combination of professional level training and experience in policy analysis, evaluation, public administration, business administration, program evaluation, research methods, or government.
- Understanding of the principles of evaluation and policy analysis.
- Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at various levels of a complex organization both orally and in writing.
- Evidence of the ability to conduct research, analyze and evaluate information, identify problems, generate recommendations, and appropriately document conclusions.
- Evidence of the ability to use automated software to prepare and present analysis such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint or similar software; and
- Evidence of the ability to work independently and handle multiple complex assignments simultaneously under aggressive deadlines.
Additionally, the following characteristics are preferred:
- Advanced degree such as a master's degree, law degree, or Ph.D. in a related field and experience preparing or reviewing regulations and performing policy research and analysis at either the federal or state level is preferred.
- Understanding of the principles of regulatory development and/or legal analysis.
- Evidence of the ability to use additional analytical, statistical, database, and/or presentation software applications.
- Short- and long-term project management experience.
Applicants selected for an interview may be given a topic about which they will be asked to create a work sample demonstrating their analytical and communication skills as part of the interview process. If utilized as part of the interview process, candidates should expect probing questions from panel members regarding the work sample during the interview process.
To be considered for this position, the applicant must submit a completed application, along with a resume and a cover letter. Failure to submit a completed application, resume, and cover letter will result in an applicant not being considered for the position.
Application information can be found at:
Junior Regulatory Analyst - Richmond, Virginia, United States
Virginia DPB - Employment Opportunities